Skinning is a survival skill used to harvest pieces of slain creatures. The resulting treasure can be sold to fur traders for coin, or used in various creation systems.
Skinning is performed primarily via the SKIN command.
If you're wearing a belt worn knife, it will automatically be used to skin regardless of what you're holding. This makes it less tedious to skin while in combat, as you no longer have to switch weapons.
You can learn skinning simply by holding an edged weapon in one hand and attempting to SKIN <creature>. Scraping a pelt, skin or hide with a hide scraper also teaches skinning as well. Fish caught via Fishing may also be scraped in this manner. Tending bloodsuckers also teaches some skinning.
Agility, Intelligence and Discipline are the stats that factor into skinning. Results from skinning may be improved by using light edged weapons, skinning knives in particular, and by kneeling before the creature you are attempting to skin.
The size of the weapon used to skin matters for all guilds except Rangers. Using a skinning knife gives the largest bonus, closely followed by the belt worn knives. All other weapons, include other types of knives, are merely rated based on their size.
If a creature is arranged the maximum amount, it is guaranteed to yeild perfect skin *if* the skinner has the skill to obtain it.
- Skin value is based off of creature level.
- Skin difficulty is based off of creature level. Different messaging is received based on the success of the skinning attempt. From best to worst:
- Working deftly, you skillfully remove a (part/skin/bone) from the remains of a (creature). The task is difficult, but the rewards are worth it.
- You slice away a bloody trophy from the dripping flesh that was a (creature), gaining a superior (part/skin/bone) for your efforts.
- With preternatural poise, you work loose a sterling example of a (part/skin/bone) from the (creature) carcass.
- You work hard at peeling the (part/skin/bone) away from the bloody carcass of the (creature), managing to get it without too much damage or splashing of gore.
- You struggle with the (creature) and manage to remove the (part/skin/bone). Blood soaks into it badly though, nearly ruining it.
Related Forum Posts
- Thanatology and Skinning Experience Changes - 02/09/2013 - 16:50
- Revised SoI - 01/10/2013 - 13:24
- Timeframe - 03/24/2012 - 15:17
- Skinning 3.0 is Live! - 03/21/2012 - 13:23
- Skinning 3.0 is Live! - 03/18/2012 - 21:46
- Increase in skinning difficulty - 03/18/2012 - 13:35
- Increase in skinning difficulty - 03/18/2012 - 13:34
- Part Weight - 03/18/2012 - 12:46
- Increase in skinning difficulty - 03/18/2012 - 12:44
- Skinning 3.0 --- Coming from a 150th Ranger - 03/18/2012 - 22:52
- … further results