Mechanical Lore skill
Also called Mech or Mech Lore, Mechanical Lore is one of the most versatile skills. Every guild needs this for something or other: fletching arrows, carving talismans, forging weapons, making potions, cleaning your instrument. Nearly every game system that is mechanical in nature uses or trains Mech. So much falls under the umbrella of Mechanical Lore that development is currently under way to replace Mech with seven new lore skils.
The Mech Split
- For more information, see Mech Split.
For several years, a split of Mechanical Lore into a group of more specifically-targeted creation skills has been discussed and under development. As of the first quarter of 2009, the release date is still classified as 'soon'.
- For more information, see Crafting.
Over time as the new creation systems are released, Mech Lore will become obsolete and be replaced by the following new skills in the Lore Skillset:
- Alchemy skill - Potions, poisons, medicines, oils, naphtha, weatherproofing, etc.
- Enchanting skill - Creation of magical devices and adding enchantment to existing items.
- Forging skill - Making stuff out of metal, primarily armor and weapons.
- Outfitting skill - Embellishing existing items: embroidery, heraldry, gem-cutting, engraving, painting, tattooing, jewelry making, leather & cloth armor.
- Engineering skill - Making complex mechanical things such as crossbows, siege equipment, repairing gates, and possibly home/caravan/ship improvements.
The CONVERT command can be used to move your Mech ranks into the new crafting skills.
Ways to Learn Mechanical Lore
As each new crafting system is released, Mech Lore will be replaced in functionality by the relevant crafting skill. Eventually there will be no way to learn Mech.
Note: please enclose items on this list with <s> and </s> to indicate the systems that no longer teaches Mech Lore.
- Braiding grass or vines to form bundling, lead, and heavy ropes.
- Tanning - scraping hides is quite popular!
Forging weapons or armor
- Combining and removing stones, such as wearmodi. - "Still locking at 103" - Ithschade
- Dismantling boxes
"Unless you have a patron to give you money/items the best way to start is probably by braiding grass and then vines, as you can forage these items for free. Make sure to check donation shelves, bins, etc at your guild for other items to help with mech." - --Khazera 17:41, 23 March 2008 (CDT)
Related Forum Posts
- Renown Scrolls - 05/16/2013 - 03:27
- Revised SoI - 01/10/2013 - 13:24
- Revised SoI - 01/10/2013 - 12:56
- Shift, post-Mech - 12/08/2012 - 21:56
- Mech-Split - 12/07/2012 - 21:48
- Mech-Split - 12/06/2012 - 16:56
- Mech Lore Conversion - 12/05/2012 - 13:10
- Mech-Split - 12/04/2012 - 12:04
- Mech Lore Conversion - 11/23/2012 - 13:09
- A Few Quick Questions - 10/08/2012 - 21:28
- … further results